Wednesday, August 19, 2020

How to Create Memes by Susan Snodgrass

Today, we have a treat! Have you seen memes like on Facebook and wondered how to create them? I have! So, I asked Susan Snodgrass to share with us how to create memes. She makes great ones! Here's Susan!

i have been promoting good books a long time and a few years ago, I saw some graphics floating around and thought that this would be an extra way to aid my promotions, so I sat down and figured out how to do it. It took a while, but I did it.

As I read, I grab quotes that stand out to me. I use Pixabay for the photos. I usually try to find a photo that matches the quote. For instance, in the current book, the main character loves greenhouses, so I grab a photo of a greenhouse for the quote.

To put together the graphic, I use Ribbet. They have loads of fonts to choose from and filters, etc. I've heard Canva is great, but it's not so user friendly. At least not for this old lady.

After I create the graphic, I save it both to my docs and on a flash drive.

Also, I never do a spoiler quote. An author for whom I influenced told me to add my name to them so no one would steal them. I also try to use colors in the photos that somewhat match the colors in the book cover, so if I add the cover to the graphic, it will match, at least in part.

To get the cover, I go to Goodreads, click the cover, enlarge it and save it to docs. Sometimes I save two copies, and on my computer I will lighten the cover to a grayish tone and add a short quote from the book if there is room. I don't do that if the title is large cause I don't want it to be too busy.

Thank you so much, Susan, for these tips on how to create memes!


If you'd like to share a writing related post or a devotion for a Wednesday post, let me know. If you're an author and you'd like to be showcased on Tuesday or Thursday, just let me know. Must be inspirational or clean, can be fiction or nonfiction.
Check out my website, connect with me, and sign up for my newsletter. https://sallyshupe.weebly.com/


4 comments:

  1. Susan, thanks so much for sharing with us how to create memes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, so fun to see you on Sally’s blog! I love your memes, so this is a great help to learn how to create these to promote books. You offer good tips about no spoiler quotes and putting your name on the completed project. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that awesome, Sherida? And using color themes. I wouldn't have thought of that.

      Delete