Friday, July 10, 2020

Book Review: Writing Monsters by Philip Athans


I bought this book to help me write the story I am working on. My current story is an inspirational syfy romantic suspense about genetically altered spiders endangering a small, rural town. In order to make them an integral part of the story, I wanted to read a craft book about writing monsters to see what I could learn.

I learned so much from this book! I used a highlighter to mark major points in the book so I could go back and reread those sections. Needless to say, there are many highlighted passages. Some of the passages that will help me include:
-only showing a part of the monster at a time
-waiting for the big reveal
-showing the monster through other characters' dialogue and reactions

This book includes many books and movies as examples. Philip Athans goes into detail about how the monsters in these examples were made to be scary, endearing, misunderstood, etc. Jaws and Alien were two movies Philip used to talk about how the monsters were depicted and brought to life.

This book would be great for anyone wanting to write a monster and make it realistic, or even for someone just wanting to read how monsters are given personalities, attributes, etc. so the reader or movie watcher can learn more about the monster in question.

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Monsters-Believably-Terrifying-Creatures/dp/1599638088/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=writing+monsters&qid=1594004455&sr=8-1

Thank you so much for being here today!


Be sure to leave a comment. Follow my blog so you don't miss a post. I also post author spotlights on Tuesdays. Wednesdays are devotional posts or posts related to writing or another topic. If you'd like to submit a book review or an author spotlight, content must be for inspirational or clean stories, fiction or nonfiction. You can contact me through my website listed below. I also post the first Thursday of the month at https://seriouslywrite.blogspot.com/

Check out my website, connect with me, and sign up for my newsletter. https://sallyshupe.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment