Thursday, September 24, 2020

Dawn Kinzer: How Does an Author Decide What to Write

Hi friends! Today, Dawn Kinser is our guest, talking about how an author decides what to write. Everyone, say hello to Dawn!

 


 

Author Bio:
Dawn Kinzer is a freelance editor, and her own work has been published in various devotionals and magazines. She co-hosts and writes for the Seriously Write blog. Sarah’s Smile is the first book in her historical romance series, The Daughters of Riverton. Hope’s Design is the second, and Rebecca’s Song completes the trilogy. Her first contemporary romance, By All Appearances, is set in the Seattle area. The sequel to that story, A Night Divine, will initially release in the boxed set of contemporary romances, Melodies of Christmas Love, in October 2020.

A mother and grandmother, Dawn lives with her husband in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Favorite things include dark chocolate, good wine, strong coffee, the mountains, family time, and Masterpiece Theatre.

Here's Dawn!

How does an author decide what to write?

I never set out to pen romances. I believed my path was leading me to women’s fiction—stories that focused on friendships and various issues that women face. But one day my critique partners told me to stop fooling myself. I was a romance writer. Once I accepted their wisdom, my stories flowed easier.

Contemporary romances came naturally, but even though I received interest from agents and publishers, none of my stories got picked up. So I set aside my most promising manuscript, Through a Mirror Dimly.

Although I loved reading historical romances, the thought of writing one felt intimidating. But when I got an idea to write a story set in my Wisconsin hometown that had experienced some glory days back in the early 1900s, I dug in. I discovered that I enjoyed immersing myself in research. Thus, The Daughters of Riverton series was developed with Riverton being a fictional place but inspired by my hometown and the people who once lived there.

The three-book series was received well, and I planned on writing a historical novella. But Through a Mirror Dimly kept coming to mind. When I mentioned that I was thinking about reviving that story, both critique partners confessed they’d been thinking about that manuscript too! Six years had passed since we’d discussed that book! It felt like God had given me a sign.

But what about switching genres? What would my readers think?

I realized that whether I write historical or contemporary novels, they all contain romance. And although told differently, each story includes the following themes: forgiveness; using our God-given gifts; finding purpose; and believing God has a plan for us, even when it doesn’t feel like it.

I reworked Through a Mirror Dimly and the title became By All Appearances.

Regardless of whether we write historicals or contemporaries, research is important.

By All Appearances is a romance set in Seattle about an attractive special events planner from a wealthy family and a disfigured musician whose lives have not gone according to plan.

Because Seattle is multi-cultural, I felt it was important to include a character with a different ethnic background from Liana, the heroine. Dalisay Ouano is Filipino, and she’s Liana’s best friend. I brought in a little bit of the Filipino culture through Dalisay’s family. To feel confident about what I portrayed, I asked a friend who is half Filipino to read specific scenes to make sure they were not offensive in any way.

Sometimes authors use fictional settings, sometimes real locations, and other times—a mix. In By All Appearances a combination of real and fictional was used. For instance, Issaquah is an existing town outside of Seattle, not far from where I live. The Filipino restaurant that Dalisay’s family owns is fictional.

Although not in the heart of Seattle, Village Theatre has been a popular venue for professional stage productions for many years. In this story, Dalisay is a set designer there with aspirations to design for the larger theaters in Seattle. Village Theatre has also been a part of my life as a mom of a performer and as a volunteer. No longer volunteering, my husband and I still enjoy attending shows there.

In By All Appearances, Bryan was scarred after being caught in a fire. Tough subject, right? Here’s how a real burn survivor helped me write this story ...

Through the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, I connected with a young Christian man. Robert was burned on 67 percent of his body—second and third degrees—and was in the hospital for ten and a half months. He and I began emailing back and forth, and his attitude was humbling as he willingly answered my questions and shared his experiences. Today, Robert is married and working in LA, helping the homeless. That’s a victory story!

When I wrote A Night Divine as a sequel, I already had the main setting and characters in place. But how could I write another story of hope and make it different from the first? Once again, I drew on my own experiences.

Seattle has a huge homeless population, and over the years, I’ve had opportunities to serve and see simple ways we can help and bless these people who struggle every day.

For several years, my husband and I helped serve meals at a location run by the Salvation Army. Our friends are on staff at the Union Gospel Mission, and we’ve walked the streets with teams, handing out food in doorways and under bridges. I’ve visited shelters for women run by UGM, and I’ve participated in providing special events for women who are working so hard to stay off drugs, educate themselves, and create a new life for themselves and their children.

Because I have a heart for the homeless, writing this novella felt like a great opportunity to share God’s love to anyone who might need a little hope.

So how to authors decide what to write? Ideas come from experiences, research, sparks from the imagination, and God-given nudges.

By All Appearances

 




Liana Tate, a special events planner grew up in a high-profile family. No matter what she does, Liana feels she never measures up.

Bryan Langley, a talented musician, was close to signing a recording contract when a barn fire left part of his face severely burned. He survived, but his career did not.

When Liana’s father hires Bryan as a caretaker on the family estate outside of Seattle, Liana’s and Bryan’s lives become entangled. He risks public humiliation for Liana’s success, and she encourages him to use his musical gifts, despite his reluctance. Thrown together, will they achieve their elusive dreams? And will the two find the love and acceptance they yearn for, or will their actions only drive each other away?

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/All-Appearances-Dawn-Kinzer/dp/0997815477/
Barnes & Noble: https://bit.ly/2R5n5SK
Books-A-Million: https://bit.ly/3m2iKhE

A Night Divine
Sequel to By All Appearances

 


 

One chilly December night, a tragedy connects successful model Camryn Tate and outreach minister Trace Gardner. As they share a common mission serving the homeless on the streets of Seattle, they provide more than food—they offer hope. But as Christmas Eve approaches, secrets have the potential to break Camryn’s heart. Although a sequel, this story can be read as a standalone.

A Night Divine is one of 7 new Christmas romances by 7 different authors that will be published in the digital boxed set, Melodies of Christmas Love. This set will release on Amazon on October 20, 2020.
Other authors included: Annette Irby, Lynnette Bonner, JoAnn Durgin, Chautona Havig, Lesley McDaniel, and Sylvia Stewart.

Here are Dawn's contact links

Contact Links::
Author Website: https://www.dawnkinzer.com/
Faithfully Write Editing: https://www.faithfullywriteediting.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dawn.kinzer.9
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/dkinzer9/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dawnkinzer/
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Kinzer/e/B01M04SD8U?
BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/dawn-kinzer
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15811132.Dawn_Kinzer


Friends, I sure hope you enjoyed Dawn's post on how an author decides what to write.

Thank you so much for joining us, Dawn!


If you're an author and you'd like to be showcased here, just let me know. You can submit a devotion, a writing-related post, or an author spotlight post. I also post book reviews on Fridays. Must be inspirational or clean, can be fiction or nonfiction.
Check out my website, connect with me, and sign up for my newsletter. https://sallyshupe.weebly.com/


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Sally! I appreciate the opportunity to share with you readers.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for asking, Sandra! I have thought about it!

      Delete
    2. But I haven't made a decision yet! LOL!

      Delete