Tuesday, December 8, 2020

How to Deal with the Negative Voice in Your Head-by Laurel Hawkes

Hi friends! Today, Laurel Hawkes is sharing about the negative voices in our heads.

 

Author Bio:
My pen name is Laurel Hawkes. I write Christian romance stories, Regency, Vintage, and Contemporary. Currently, the contemporary novellas, Holiday, USA series, are the only books available. I’m working on re-writing the others.


Here's Laurel:

When Sally Shupe invited me to write a post for her blog, I debated the possibilities. I maintain three blogs and have written guest posts for others. In the midst of the current upheavals, from world events to holidays, and being an abuse survivor, I thought sharing how to deal with the negative voice in your head might be the most helpful.

“You’re stupid.” “You’re not good enough.” “Why do you have to be so difficult?” “You’re oversensitive.” “Why can’t you try harder?” “If you just had more faith, you’d be fine.” “You’re lazy.” “You’re wicked.” “You’re a loser.” And the list goes on and on.

I had a negative tape that turned on every time I did something wrong, messed up, or had a quiet moment. Being busy helped me drown out the negative tape, sometimes. Sometimes, it simply grew louder. The voice was mostly my mother’s, but my dad said some hurtful things, too. For others, it was other family members or teachers or even friends. If they weren’t around, I bullied and abused myself.

Positive thinking didn’t help. I’d hit a bad day, which was often, and the negative tape was louder than the positive affirmations. After all, I’d messed up again. Prayer helped for a short time, but the negative tape was persistent.

I’d worked with 3 counselors, each what I needed at the time. In my early 50s, I tried reverse psychology. This won’t work for everyone, but it did me. I let the negative tape run. I egged it on. I worked to find as many ways possible to insult myself. I quickly grew bored. I’d taken the sting out of the words.

Nine years ago, I started a new manta: Rule #1: Stop lying, especially to yourself. I finally realized that the negative tape was a string of lies. Do I mess up? Yep. Am I lazy? Sometimes. Do I do stupid things? Sometimes. Am I really not good enough? Yes, that’s why I need my Savior, Jesus Christ. He is enough.

Why give anymore time and energy to lies? Once I accepted the tape was a lie, I was able to view my flaws differently. Instead of hiding from them because of my shame, they’ve become opportunities.

As an abuse survivor, I had a series of life changing experiences. I don’t know who I might have been, and it doesn’t matter. I can’t change what happened to me, but I have the power to change who I am now. I had to learn I couldn’t make giant changes, but I’ve discovered the wonder of making one little change after another. Start with challenging the lies. The world doesn’t need anymore lies. Seek the truth. God says that you are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Happy New Year? (Holiday, USA Book 1) Blurb

Welcome to Holiday, USA, small town America, where nothing happens, except holidays... and maybe a little romance, if the hero and heroine trust God.

Officer Tim Black moved to Holiday for a change of scene. He never anticipated wanting to change his single status at the same time, but the lady refuses to even date him.

Sandy Foster moved to Holiday to escape her dysfunctional family, changing everything about her life. Finding someone who wanted to share her life holds a never-ending spot on her uninspiring list of New Year's resolutions.

The tiniest misunderstanding and the willingness to set pride aside might make the difference between spending the New Year alone and a Happily Ever After...

 
Purchase Link::

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-New-Year-Holiday-USA-ebook/dp/B00HCQKGF4/ref=sr_1_1


Connect with Laurel:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LaurelHawkes
Blog: https://laurelhawkes.blogspot.com/



Friends, I sure hope you enjoyed getting to know Laurel and Happy New Year?.



Thank you so much for joining us, Laurel!


If you're an author and you'd like to be showcased here, just let me know. Must be inspirational or clean, can be fiction or nonfiction.
Check out my website, connect with me, and sign up for my newsletter. https://sallyshupe.weebly.com/


3 comments: